Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Tuscan Chicken Soup {recipe}

All four of us have been home sick for the past 7 days. Two trips to the ER, dr's visits, and endless boxes of kleenex.  I am SO ready to get this out of our house! Somehow I had energy to cook a great soup that I thought I would share.

Kale Vegetable Chicken Soup


Ingredients:
2 large chicken breasts (cooked and shredded)
1 medium yellow onion (medium dice)
4  carrots (peeled, washed, and medium dice)
2 cups fresh kale (chopped, stems removed)
2 zucchini (washed and medium diced)
2 cloves fresh garlic (chopped finely)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
6 cups chicken stock
Kosher salt-to taste
Fresh ground black pepper -to taste
1/2 cup Couscous (large pearl)
Parmiggiano reggiano cheese


In a large pot add 2 tbsp olive oil and saute onions and carrots over medium high heat for 8-10 minutes. Add zucchini and garlic. Saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add chicken stock, tomatoes, basil, thyme, kale and chicken. Simmer soup for 30 minutes, vegetables should be tender. Add the couscous and cook right in the soup for another 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Top with grated parmiggiano reggiano and serve!

** The couscous will absorb a lot of the liquid. If you want your soup to be more brothy, just add a few more cups of chicken stock.


  



1 comment:

Mrs Desh said...

Sorry you guys are sick. I got on my computer to figure out what to make for dinner tonight (clearly not as good of a planner as you are) and I saw your post. Score! I think I have just about everything I need to make this. Thanks for the recipe and feel better soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...